A Note from The Rev. Jessie McKenzie…Because God Cares for You – Part II
Picking up where we left off last week…Did you make a list of your fears? Fears for health, fears for continued employment, fears my sons will get through this time without being set back in their life plans too far. What are your fears? If you jot them down, they become “roaring lions” that you can examine to see if they at least have teeth.
I also find encouragement in that my “brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering.” Have you ever been troubled by something in your life only to share it with a friend and hear that friend say they struggle with the exact same thing? It is kind of like when we go to Jesus and say, “Jesus, I am afraid of dying.” And Jesus says, “Yes, I felt the same way.”
We as individuals, and we as a nation and a world, are in a time of high anxiety. Jot your fears down. Share them with someone. Lay them down at the foot of the cross and leave them there. From one of my very favorite passages, “The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:5b – 7)
You all are in my heart and my prayers. The peace of the Lord be with you.
Foreseeable Future – Weekly Parish Calendar
Access to Worship, Bulletin, Coffee Hour Made Easy
For all weekly events you can find the Zoom links and additional information by visiting this link:
- Sunday worship can be viewed on the website along with the bulletin. Visit the homepage at www.stmaryslw.org.
- Coffee Hour – Each Sunday at noon you can join in the fun with online Coffee Hour. Smile and wave to everyone and say hello your friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee and goodies!
- Tuesdays – Bible Study The Rev. Dr. Bill Hardwick will lead this study group for men and women beginning at 10 am via Zoom. Readings the weeks following Easter are available via the Lectionary Page.
- Zoom Contemplative Prayer Chapel. Tuesday evenings, 7:00 – 7:30 pm. “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10. To sign up for this new prayer group please contact Paul Rietmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesdays – Finding Faith in the Midst of Pandemic continues Wednesday at 10 am via Zoom.
- Contemplative Prayer continues Thursday at 11 am via Zoom.
- Book of Common Prayer Class Friday at 10 am via Zoom.
- May 29 The Historical Documents
- *NEW* Book Group Reads – Starting June 5
- The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
Visit the Foreseeable Future – Weekly Parish Calendar for more information!
Online GIVE Works
Now it’s easier than ever to manage your pledge payments without writing a check. GIVE is our new online giving platform that is available on the church website. Visit www.stmaryslw.org at the top left of the home page you’ll see a large green button. There is a 3% processing fee for each transaction.
Graduates – St. Mary’s Celebrates you
Senior Graduates have their day on Saturday June 13, 2020 at 4 pm.
Details to come…
Private Committal Service
A private committal service will be held in the Columbarium for Courtland C. and Patricia S. Nordgren once the Phases 2 restrictions are in place. The family is planning a full memorial service later this fall when we can come together in the sanctuary.
St. Mary’s Book Group reads The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
The book group will meet with Rev. Marian Stinson On Friday, June 5th at 10:00 am to discuss this incredible read…
An extraordinary story set in the first century about a woman who finds her voice and her destiny, from the celebrated number one New York Times bestselling author of The Secret Life of Bees and The Invention of Wings.
In her mesmerizing fourth work of fiction, Sue Monk Kidd takes an audacious approach to history
and brings her acclaimed narrative gifts to imagine the story of a young woman named Ana. Raised in a wealthy family with ties to the ruler of Galilee, she is rebellious and ambitious, with a brilliant mind and a daring spirit. She engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes narratives about neglected and silenced women. Ana is expected to marry an older widower, a prospect that horrifies her. An encounter with eighteen-year-old Jesus changes everything.
Grounded in meticulous research and written with a reverential approach to Jesus’s life that focuses on his humanity, The Book of Longings is an inspiring, unforgettable account of one woman’s bold struggle to realize the passion and potential inside her, while living in a time, place and culture devised to silence her. It is a triumph of storytelling both timely and timeless, from a masterful writer at the height of her powers.
Available at Amazon: Kindle $14.99, Hardcover $16.80 and paperback $16.89
Exercising with Mary Jean-New video workout featured weekly!
Get off the couch, get out and walk, click on the videos and workout with our own Mary Jean Fischer. As a Fitness Director for GenCare Lifestyle at Point Ruston. Mary Jean works with people post-surgery recovering from joint replacement, those with arthritis and other conditions that require one on one personal training. Let’s join the fun and live Happy, Healthy and Holistic.
- This week’s new video:
- Mary Jean Fischer says – “Sherry Morris Zak is one of my favorite YouTube fitness instructors, check her out!”
- Workout Video 1: https://www.facebook.com/329473857819122/videos/673262030184015/
- Workout Video 2: https://www.facebook.com/329473857819122/videos/600930607217331/
- Workout Video 3: https://www.facebook.com/329473857819122/videos/228817571900446/
- Workout Video 4: https://www.facebook.com/329473857819122/videos/522161225330731/
- You can learn more about GenCare and exercising…click here: https://www.facebook.com/329473857819122/videos/228817571900446/
Virtual Prayer & Share – Save the Date!
We are missing you all! We still can’t meet in person and may not be able to do so for a while. We decided it was time to try something different so we are looking at virtual options. In the meantime – Save the Date!
- Date: Saturday, June 27th
- Social Zoom: 9:30am, Begin P&S: 10:00am.
- We expect to break out into separate “rooms” for Grouping. Details to follow!
Wit and Wisdom
You can’t enter Heaven unless Jesus enters you.
God gives the hardest tests to the strongest students.
Prayer is a conversation, not a monologue.
“Love in moderation” (said no one ever)
Glory to God on Pentecost.
Help Desk Remains Open
We have the cure for this condition called IT Frustration…
If you are having connectivity problems, need technical help or have questions forward to email@example.com.
We’ll have one of our help desk volunteers contact you.